A Brief History of Moseley
Moseley developed from a rural village into a fashionable suburb between 1850 and 1910, stimulated by the new railway line and trams linking Moseley with the centre of Birmingham. Large country estates were split up and sold off for housing developments. Fine Victorian houses were built, many in the arts and crafts style. The largest estate to be developed was that of Moseley Hall with its park ‘landscaped’ after Humphry Repton’s suggestions. The Hall itself still survives and is now used as a hospital. The lake and surrounding parkland also remains thanks to a group of local residents who formed the Moseley Park and Pool Company to save it from development. Several relics of Moseley Hall have been retained and restored, namely the Dovecote and Cowshed at the entrance to the drive and the Icehouse within the Park. Since these high quality Victorian developments Moseley has suffered from the gradual infilling of land, the conversion of larger houses into multi-occupation or institutional use and some demolition and replacement with smaller houses and blocks of flats. To prevent further destruction and damage, Birmingham City Council has established two Conservation Areas in Moseley to help preserve this historic environment.
Blood’s Map of Birmingham and its Environs, 1857
Blood’s Map, published in 1857, is regarded as an informative and particularly attractive map of Birmingham and surrounding areas in the mid 19th century. Click on the image on the left to see the whole map and on the one on the right to see a magnified version of the Moseley area.