W H Smith’s building today
These pictures show the former W. H. Smith’s shop today. The firm’s initials can still be seen above the shop front.
The typeface used for the inscription on the shop front was designed by Eric Gill specifically for W H Smith in about 1925 and was widely used by the company on its shop and kiosk fascias, signs and vehicles. Surviving examples today are quite rare. Eric Gill was a sculptor, typeface designer and printer who was associated with the Arts and Crafts movement. Amongst his many public works are the bas relief sculptures at Broadcasting House and the London Transport headquarters in London and a Virgin and Child sculpture in Lapworth parish church. Eric Gill is believed to have spent some time in Moseley visiting friends.