The development of Moseley at different stages in its history is described in the following articles (click to view):
You can also view the following galleries of pictures:
- Victorian Postcards
- World War 1 – scenes from the War, showing damage suffered by Moseley buildings.
- Moseley Festival – photographs of Moseley Festivals during the 1980s.
Two articles on Moseley Village Green and Transport in Moseley describe how the road pattern and transport infrastructure have changed leading to the relocation of the village green from the vicinity of the Meteor Ford site to its current location at the crossroads . (Click to view)
Memories of Moseley Life
Memories of Moseley life are reflected in these articles by local people. (Click to view)
- When Moseley won Silver at the Olympics
- My first job at W H Smith’s by – G. Reeves
- Moseley Skating Rink at the Trafalgar Hotel, with thanks to Mark Baxter and OnlineNewspapers
- Moseley Park Golf Club at Moseley Hall – an article by John Moreton
- Moseley Tennis Club by Diane Hirst and Heather Frazier
- Boots’ Library by Diane Hirst
- Memories of Moseley Art School by Ann Barran
- Memories of a concert at St Mary’s by Tony Lee
- Sorrento Hospital – a talk that Josie Wall gave to a Local History Group meeting in 2013.
- Lia Lesser’s Memories of Moseley – and of her nursing experience.
- Tesco and The Wombles – Janet Berry’s story about Tesco and the Wombles
Memories of World War II are described in the story of Suzanne Marburg, a young Jewish girl who died in the ‘Birmingham Blitz’ of 12 December 1940 and an article about the Reverend Rosalind Emma Lee who rescued Suzanne from Nazi Germany and resettled her in England as a refugee. There is a further article about Suzanne and other victims of the same air raid – the families of the Piccioni brothers in Oxford Road – in the Newsletter October 2012. (Click to read the newsletter). You can also read a member’s memories of Coventry burning in a WWII Memory.
Further memories feature in editions of Local History Newsletters from 2012-13. Click on the Newsletter edition to read the articles.
- Golf comes to Moseley – a history of Moseley Golf Club – Newsletter August 2013
- Moseley Quoits and Bowling club – a photograph – Newsletter November 2012
- Britain’s Muslim soldiers – the contribution they made in both world wars – Newsletter July 2013
- Samuel Taylor Coleridge’s connection with Moseley – Newsletter May 2013
- The Toy Balloon by Verity Montague-Smith – Newsletter October 2013