The Moseley History Collection

The Local History Group has a wide collection of documents, photographs and some artefacts relating to the history of Moseley.

Click on the links to view these spreadsheets with details of the Collection.  You can then filter and search on some of the material in our Archives.

The Index to Collection lists the items held in The Collection.  Click to download, then select the tabs at the bottom to view the different spreadsheets.

The Library catalogue lists a number books and pamphlets held in the Collection, which are available to be viewed on borrowed on request.  (Click to view.) Thanks are due to Jim Hone who donated a number of books on World War I (see catalogue).  The Group would be very grateful to receive any further donations to the Collection.

Residents of Streets is a spreadsheet listing the previous residents of some Moseley streets, from files created by G Reeves.  (Click to view)

The family of Frank Jones, a long-standing member of Moseley History Group who died in 2013, kindly donated or loaned a wide range of items related to World War II.    Click here to see the Frank Jones Archive.

The Olive Allen Collection contains items donated by Verity Montague-Smith on behalf of her friend Olive Allen, following Olive’s death in 2014. (Click to view).

Verity Montague-Smith donated further items for our Collection when she left Moseley in 2016.  These include several interesting family photographs and memorabilia.

A photograph of Major Brodie and the Queen was donated to the History Group by a member of the Moseley Society.  It shows Major J. K. Brodie of 29 School Road, Moseley presenting the Queen with a brooch-badge of the Queen’s Own Warwickshire Hussars in 1957.  Click to see the photograph and further details.

The following photographs have been added to the Collection:
Highbury Postcard dated 24th July 1909
Moseley Parish Church Postcard
Sarehole Mill Postcard

A large collection of Britannic Assurance in-house magazines has been kindly donated to us by Reg Monk, who worked for the company for a number of years.  These magazines give fascinating insights into the life and times of the company and contain very interesting articles on Moor Green House and Estate, the site of Britannic Assurance and the building of the new Chief Office there. A summary of these articles ,  ‘Britannic Magazines: Moor Green House and Estate’, is available to read here. To visit the Britannic Assurance Magazines project page click here.

Return to Local History Home Page