North East Worcestershire – Saxton-Kip 1637
Moseley is shown here in the heavily forested north east corner of Worcestershire along with Kings Norton, Yardley, Wythall and other hamlets in the manor of Bromsgrove. The rivers Rea and Cole can also be seen. The towns of Birmingham and Solihull are identified in adjacent Warwickshire along with smaller settlements such as Edgbaston. Harborne and Smethwick are shown in neighbouring Staffordshire.
(Click on the map to enlarge)
Tithe Map of Moseley and Balsall Heath 1780
The map shows the small village of Moseley clustered around St Mary’s Row and the adjacent part of the Alcester Road turnpike as far as the Fox & Dogs (Fighting Cocks) public house. Moseley Hall estate stretched from the Alcester Road to Cannon Hill between Edgbaston Lane to the north and Moor Green Lane to the south.
Lett Lane (now School Road) provided an alternative route to Kings Heath. Ladypool Lane (now Church Road) led north to the Lady Pool (roughly on the site of the present Balsall Heath Park) which once supplied fish for the incumbent of St Mary’s Church. Bully Lane (now Billesley Lane) is marked and other old roads such as Greenhill Road and Cotton Lane can be identified. The map shows the significant number of large houses and estates in the area of Moseley and Wake Green which have since almost entirely disappeared. (Click on the map to enlarge)
Mappa Moseley project by Andy_Underscore
Andy_Underscore has been carrying out some very interesting work digitising the 1838 tithe maps of the Kings Norton Parish, including the land use and names of the land parcels as they appear in the accompanying tithe book (both of which are available to view in Birmingham Library). The map is still work in progress but the eventual aim is to map the entirety of the Parish of Kings Norton (of which Moseley, Kings Heath, Stirchley, Cotteridge were all part of before they became part of Birmingham). To find out more about this project visit https://andyunderscore.com/maps/
Blood’s Map of Birmingham and its Environs, 1857
Blood’s Map, published in 1857, is regarded as an informative and particularly attractive map of Birmingham and surrounding areas in the mid 19th century. The image on the left is the whole map and the one on the right an enlargement of the Moseley area. Click on the images to view the maps in separate windows and then click on them again to enlarge.
Blood’s map shows the arrival of the railway and the start of the 19th Century development of Moseley with the construction of Blaney Street (now Woodbridge Road) and Trafalgar Road and new developments north of the village centre.
The Birmingham Historic Landscape project
This is an online source that provides a dynamic representation of how land use in Birmingham has changed over the centuries, overlaying historic maps on to the present day street pattern. For further information see a presentation on Mapping Birmingham’s Historic Landscape from our evening talk on Tuesday 6th October and Brief Instructions on how to use Birmingham Historic Landscape mapping system. Access the Birmingham City Council Historic Landscape Characterisation web page here where you will find links to all the mapping pages.